Above are a series of four watercolour paintings looking across
Edinburgh from the Scott Monument made in 1845 and 1847 by artist
Joseph Woodfall Ebsworth.
These four views compliment the four watercolour paintings by Richard
Demarco made in 1986, also in the City Art Centre collection.
View north is at 2.45pm on September
This view is looking up South Saint David Street, over the rooftops,
past Saint Andrews Square with the Melville Monument and gardens
below. The coast of Fife is in the back ground past the areas of
Goldenacre and Trinity.
The church spire to the left is that of Saint Andrew’s and
Saint George’s on George Street completed in 1787.
On the rooftop of the building on the corner at the near right,
there is an unusual scene - that of a photographer taking a picture
of a couple posing in front of a coloured backdrop.
View south is at 4.40pm during May 1847,
showing Waverley Bridge, the Old town and the Mound.
This view shows the Old Town with the dense mass of buildings -
a legacy of the medieval layout. The High Street, also known as
the Royal Mile runs down from the Castle to Holyrood Palace and
Abbey. There are three church spires shown on High Street - on the
left is the Tron Kirk, the ‘crown spire’ in the centre
is St Giles Cathedral and to the right is the Tolbooth Church on
Castlehill. The substantial building in the greenery to the right
is the head office of the Bank of Scotland (amended in 1863).
View east is at 11.45am during August
This view looks along Princes Street towards Calton Hill where the
Observatory, National Monument and Nelson Monuments can be seen.
The volcanic hill beyond the gas works chimney is called Arthurs
Seat, and the railway line goes under the original (1763) North
Bridge, which connects the Old Town with the New.
View west is at 10.15am during August
1847, showing a parade, west of the Royal Scottish Academy.
The scene is a parade of red coated soldiers arriving at the Mound.
The National Gallery of Scotland has not yet been built, and now
stands in the area above the railway tunnel.
About the Artist
Joseph Woodfall Ebsworth (1824 to 1908) studied under Sir William
Allan and David Cott. He was appointed Artistic Director at the
Institute of Lithography in Manchester. He later became Professor
at Glasgow School of Art.
He painted four views from the Scott Monument between 1845 and
1847, all of which were presented to the City of Edinburgh Council/City
Art Centre by J. Collins Francis in 1910.