Below are a series of four watercolour paintings
looking across Edinburgh from the Scott Monument made in 1845 and
1847 by artist Joseph Woodfall Ebsworth.
These four views compliment the four watercolour paintings by Richard
De Marco made in 1986, also in the City Art Centre collection.
View from the Scott Monument looking north,
at 2.45pm on September 15 1845.
This view is looking up South Saint David Street, over the rooftops,
past Saint Andrews Square with the Melville Monument and gardens
below. The coast of Fife is in the back ground past the areas of
Goldenacre and Trinity.
The church spire to the left is that of Saint Andrew’s and
Saint George’s on George Street completed in 1787.
On the rooftop of the building on the corner at the near right,
there is an unusual scene - that of a photographer taking a picture
of a couple posing in front of a coloured backdrop.
View from the Scott Monument looking south
at 4.40pm during May 1847, showing Waverley Bridge, the Old town
and the Mound.
This view to the South shows the Old Town with the dense mass of
buildings - a legacy of the medieval layout. The High Street, also
known as the Royal Mile runs down from the Castle to Holyrood Palace
and Abbey. There are three church spires shown on High Street -
on the left is the Tron Kirk, the ‘crown spire’ in the
centre is St Giles Cathedral and to the right is the Tolbooth Church
on Castlehill. The substantial building in the greenery to the right
is the head office of the Bank of Scotland (amended in 1863).
View from the Scott Monument looking east
at 11.45am during August 1847.
This view east from the Scott Monument looks along Princes Street
towards Calton Hill where the Observatory, National Monument and
Nelson Monuments can be seen. The volcanic hill beyond the gas works
chimney is called Arthurs Seat, and the railway line goes under
the original (1763) North Bridge, which connects the Old Town with
View from the Scott Monument looking west
at 10.15am during August 1847, showing a parade, west of the Royal
The scene shows a parade of red coated soldiers arriving at the
Mound. The National Gallery of Scotland has not yet been built,
and now stands in the area above the railway tunnel.