The Scott Monument was built to
commemorate Sir Walter Scott, one of Scotland's greatest novelists.
The Foundation stone was laid on the 15th August 1840 (the anniversary
of Scott's birthday) and was completed in Autumn 1844. It is 200
feet 6inches (61.1metres) high, is made of Binny sand-stone from
West Lothian, and cost just over £16,154 (approx. £712,000 today). There are 287 steps
to the top where there are magnificent views of Edinburgh and beyond.
The large statue of Scott is in Italian Carrara marble was sculpted
by Sir John Steell.
There are 64 statues on the monument, mostly characters from Scott's
novels, with some figures from Scottish history. These can be viewed
individually through in 'Sir
Walter Scott' - characters.