Below are a series of four watercolour and pencil
sketches looking across Edinburgh from the Scott Monument made in
September and October 1986 by Richard de Marco.
These four views were commissioned from the artist with funding
from the Jean F. Watson Bequest for the City Art Centre collection.
They compliment the four watercolour paintings by Joseph W. Ebsworth
dated 1845 to 1847 also in the City Art Centre collection.
North is a view looking up Saint David
Street, past Saint Andrews Square towards the coast of Fife. The
main building in the foreground to the left is Jenners, the department
South is a view over the railway line
to the Old Town and beyond to the Borders.
East is a view looking along Princes Street
toward the Balmoral Hotel, Calton Hill and Arthurs Seat.
West is a view down Princes Street, with
gardens in the foreground left, the Royal Scottish Academy and the
National Gallery of Scotland with Edinburgh Castle on the hill behind.
Above the Royal Scottish Academy, a canopied marquee tent covers
the Ross Bandstand in Princes Street Gardens west. To the right
the mass of buildings of the NewTown stretch into the horizon.