Above are a series of four watercolour and pencil sketches looking
across Edinburgh from the Scott Monument made in September and October
1986 by Richard Demarco.
North is a view looking up Saint David
Street, past Saint Andrews Square towards the coast of Fife. The
main building in the foreground to the left is Jenners, the department
store. South is a view over the railway line
to the Old Town and beyond to the Borders. East is a view looking along Princes Street
toward the Balmoral Hotel, Calton Hill and Arthurs Seat. West is a view down Princes Street, with
gardens in the foreground left, the Royal Scottish Academy and the
National Gallery of Scotland with Edinburgh Castle on the hill behind.
Above the Royal Scottish Academy, a canopied marquee tent covers
the Ross Bandstand in Princes Street Gardens west. To the right
the mass of buildings of the NewTown stretch into the horizon.
These four views were commissioned from the artist with funding
from the Jean F. Watson Bequest for the City Art Centre collection.
They compliment the four watercolour paintings by Joseph W. Ebsworth
dated 1845 to 1847 also in the City Art Centre collection.
About the Artist
Richard Demarco was born in Edinburgh in 1930 and studied at Edinburgh
School of Art (1949 to 1953). He taught at Duns Scotus Academy, was
director of The Traverse Art Gallery and later the Richard Demarco
Gallery in 1966. He has done many public commissions and is an energetic