Achievements of British Antarctic Survey
- In 1985 the BAS discovered the hole in the ozone layer.
- Discovered ice cap is being reduced by 1cm per year.
- Predicted the disintegration of the Larsen B ice shelf
- Set up several unmanned stations to record scientific data.
- Past climates studied using ice cores and cores from the sea bed
- Discovered new rock sequences
- Over 100 years of sea ice have been investigated from the South Orkney Islands to the Antarctic mainland.
- Studies of terrestrial and sea life.
- Studies of the albatross using radio transmitters and satellites.
- In 1998 discovered that the height of the Earth's atmosphere has been reduced by eight kilometres (five miles) in the previous 38 years.
- Lake Vostok discovered under the ice below the Russian base in eastern Antarctica.
Previous Contents Next