This view from the south-west shows the west front of the two-storeyed
court of offices as redesigned and reconstructed by the 10th Duke
and David Hamilton in about 1825. In the right distance the south
end walls of the late 17th-century courtyard wings are also visible.
The main entrance to the service court has a portico of tetrastyle
(that is, of four-column) form framed with plain pilasters (shallow,
flat attached columns) of Roman Doric Order. One design drawing
for the portico shows the main entrance in tetrastyle form, but
with detached frontal columns in a choice of either Ionic or Doric
Redesigned to form a regular enclosed courtyard, the court of offices
occupied a site adjacent to the west wall of the palace where ranges
of service buildings had formed a 'back close' since at least the
late 16th century.