Aerial view from north, 1997
Named after the French dukedom bestowed in
1549 upon James Hamilton, 2nd Earl of Arran
and Lord Governor of Scotland (d.1575), Ch‚telherault is one of
the largest and most elegant hunting lodges in Britain. Built between
1731 and 1743 by the 5th Duke of Hamilton
(1703-43) to the designs of the celebrated architect, William
Adam (1689-1748), Ch‚telherault occupies an elevated site in the
High Parks, forming an eye-catching termination to the vista along
the great south avenue from the palace, about 2.5km away.
The main north front of Ch‚telherault, which is
almost 90m in overall length and is wrought in orange-red sandstone,
consists of two pairs of three-storeyed pavilions linked by a long
screen-wall with deeply scalloped parapets, and is backed by courtyards
and gardens, clearly visible in this aerial view. The ducal apartments
were contained in the western (right) group of pavilions, behind
which there is a restored parterre (ornamental garden) and surrounding
terrace. Behind the servants' quarters and stables in the eastern
pavilions is a kennel yard (now roofed over), and the flanking terrace
has an earthwork 'mount' or viewing platform.
Ch‚telherault was evidently sited on the great
avenue at a point of optimum inter-visibility with Hamilton Palace.
It stands almost 1.6km short of the southern extent of the avenue
as shown on Edward's 1708 plan. However,
plantation and enclosure work to the south of Ch‚telherault in 1750
included the provision of a large belvedere (pavilion from which
to view the scenery), close to the highest point on the avenue which
Edward had himself earlier identified.