© Lennoxlove House Ltd
Long Gallery, chimney flues, 1843
Between 1822 and 1828 the north front of
Hamilton Palace was massively enlarged and enhanced by Alexander,
10th Duke of Hamilton (1767-1852) working in collaboration with
the distinguished Glasgow architect, David Hamilton (1768-1843).
The resultant monumental edifice was 80.5m long, and the main block
more than doubled the depth - and the number of rooms - of the already
large late 17th-century mansion.
This 1:60 scale drawing is one of 20 similar drawings
grouped in a bound leather royal folio volume, the spine of which
bears the title 'Hamilton Palace Chimney Vents 1843'. The title
page sets out more fully that these drawings are 'sections of all
the different chimney vents of the new and old Palace of Hamilton
commencing at the west-end of the new palace, taken by Mr Thomas
Harvie, superintendent of masons, and drawn etc by Thomas Boyd,
Engineer and Surveyor, Hamilton 1843’. This longitudinal section
through the gallery shows the pair of old flues which served those
fireplace openings in the north side wall of the gallery that had
been re-fitted with new black marble chimneypieces in the 1820s.
Of the 12 flues shown in this drawing, one serves one of the pair
of free-standing radiators in the ground-floor hall, and the two
shaded in pink are redundant flues on the 'opposite side of gable'.
Altogether, some 102 flues are shown on the 20
drawings. Whilst some vents may have been depicted more than once
and some 13 flues are described as 'not in use', it is a very impressive
measure of the heating provision in the new palace and the likely
requirements in terms of fuel (coal) consumption and attendant maintenance.
In 1843, the date of this publication, the coal industry in this
area was still in its infancy, with only one operational coal mine
in Hamilton district. Three decades later there were no fewer than
40 in Hamilton burgh and parish alone. By the 1870s, however, the
accumulated debts on the estate and the costs of upkeep were already
beginning to make themselves felt, resulting in the first major
sale of the contents of the palace in 1882.