1971 Organ - SMC176
1969 it was clear that the organ of St Magnus Cathedral needed
to be repaired or replaced. The organ was 43 years old and
had been installed in 1926.
The company who built the organ in 1926, Henry Willis and
Sons Ltd., were invited to undertake repairs. Following consultation
with Henry Willis IV, a modern specification was designed
that retained the character of the 1926 Willis organ.
Work began in November 1970 and was completed 1971. The current
organ has three manual departments and a pedal department,
and in total 42 speaking stops, 18 couplers and 2 tremolos.