The War Memorial - SMC173

This is the War Memorial Gateway which stands to the north of St Magnus Cathedral. It is made of pink granite and is an arch enclosed with a stepped gable. An angel of victory stands on top.

This memorial was built in 1923 during the restoration of the Cathedral. It was originally intended that the west window would contain a memorial to Lord Kitchener and the men who died in the First World War. This was abandoned in favour of the Kitchener Memorial, on Marwick Head, and
the War Memorial Gateway.

The names of soldiers who died in the Second World War were added sometime after 1945.

Welcome | Contact Us | Links