south transept chapel - SMC141
Bjarni Kolbeinsson was Bishop of Orkney, 1188 to 1223, work
resumed on the
construction of St Magnus Cathedral. During this period major
changes were made to the Cathedral including the construction
of new transept chapels. This is the south transept chapel.
The new transept chapels were very different to the old apsed
chapels. They were larger, rectangular, and also had vaulted
ceilings. The chapels may have been based on those at Trondhein
Today the south transept chapel of St Magnus Cathedral is
used as a vestry and is also the Custodian's office.