Bisset's gravestone - SMC112
in the graveyard of St Magnus Cathedral, about 40 metres north-east
of the north-east corner of the choir, is the gravestone of
William Bisset. He was the superintendent of the government's
renovation of the
The gravestone was erected by the masons employed at the Cathedral
and designed by an architect called Andrew Kerr. The masons
each left their mark on the gravestone.
William Bisset was born on the 20th of May 1803 at Kirkliston,
Midlothian. He died in Kirkwall on the 31st of December 1848
while he was supervising the repairs to the Cathedral.