later stages of construction of St Magnus Cathedral from
1188 until the fifteenth century - SMC087
Bjarni Kolbeinsson became bishop in 1188 he introduced design
changes. The choir would be doubled in size, the crossing
rebuilt and a massive tower and steeple constructed. New square
chaples would be built in the transepts and the nave would
be extended and furnished.
When Bjarni died in 1223 the transepts, chapels, and crossing
arches were complete. The nave was complete to triforium level
up to the sixth bay and there was a gap to the three completed
By the episcopate of Bishop Henry the Cathedral was fully
completed up to the sixth bay of the nave. The west end of
the nave and the west fašade were not completed until the
fifteenth or later sixteenth century.