Mercat Cross - SMC037
in the north transept of St Magnus Cathedral is the original
Kirkwall "Mercat Cross". The cross is made from
red sandstone and is inscribed with the date 1621.
The original location of the cross was at the bottom of the
Strynd. It was moved to the Kirk Green, outside the cathedral,
in 1762 and placed in the cathedral in 1954. The cross which
now stands on the Kirk green is a replica.
The "Mercat Cross", or Market Cross, played an important
role in the Royal Burgh. It was a place from which proclamations
were read, verbal contracts sealed, and corporal punishment