and presbytery floor tiles - SMC033
the 1913 to 1930 restorations the floor of the choir was restored
to its original level. The choir and presbytery were then
covered with glazed encaustic tiles.
Before, and during, the restoration tiles were found in the
choir which dated from the mediaeval period. The discovery
of these tiles was the justification for its restoration with
glazed tiles. These tiles were manufactured by Craven Dunnill
and incorporate celtic designs.
The local people did not like the new tiles at first, but
this initial resentment died down.