Red Clydeside: A history of the labour movement in Glasgow 1910-1932


Glasgow Anarchist Group meeting, 1 Jan 1915

image from Red Clydeside collection

Photograph of Glasgow Anarchist Group meeting taken on 1 January 1915 in the Herald League Rooms in Buchanan Street, Glasgow. The Glasgow Anarchist Group was formed by Guy Aldred in 1912, and together with different socialist organisations in the city they participated in the anti-war and anti-conscription campaigns of 1914-1918.

The Glasgow Anarchist Group became the Glasgow Communist Group in 1920. After the formation of the Communist Party of Great Britain in 1921, it changed its name again to the Anti-Parliamentary Communist Federation.

The Glasgow Anarchist Group had little direct influence within the Glasgow labour movement over the period 1910-1922, proving largely peripheral to the main events that materialised on the political and industrial fronts within the city in this period.

Source: Gallacher Memorial Library, Glasgow Caledonian University Special Collections and Archives