Water Supply  
Pupils from Mrs Mabel Esson’s class at Perthudden, a bay south of Collieston, in 1970. Mrs Esson was a member of staff at Slains School from 1967-1982 when there were some seventy pupils on the school roll and a complement of three full-time teachers.

The steep, wooden, steps led down to Perthudden and the Pumping Station, clearly visible behind the line of children. Water, which provided the residents of Collieston with their supply of mains water, was pumped from an underground stream up to a header tank at the top of Perthudden.

The wooden steps were subsequently dismantled and removed in the 1990’s after the closure of the Pumping Station.
Aerial View
An aerial view, circa 1975, mainly featuring the part of Collieston known as High Town. The photograph is dominated by Slains Lodge and its associated stable block. Formerly the Whiteness Hotel and Shooting Lodge, Slains Lodge also served as military billets during the 1939-1945 World War.

The stable block, a granite structure with slated roofs, housed a small canning factory which produced such diverse items as haggis and dog food. The factory subsequently closed and was converted to housing in the 1980’s and is now known as Forvie Court.

Return to top of page
A young girl, Rosaleen Hay, in fancy dress, is standing on the Pier during Collieston Gala Day in 1975.

Return to top of page
The Sand Loch
The Sand Loch is situated to the west of Collieston on the Forvie National Nature Reserve. Forvie’s unique moorland, dune system and beaches led to it being declared as one of Scotland’s first National Nature Reserves in January 1959

Collieston Hall, seen here in 1999, was originally the Free Church and was built on the north shore of the loch in 1862, with the church manse situated to the rear. The property was sold in 1920 and was in use as the Village Hall until 1960.

Subsequently bought by a local farmer who used it as a grain store, the building was then sold in 1975 to a local builder. Both Church and Manse have been modernised and are now private dwellings.

Return to top of page
  Slains Parish Church  
Viewed from the east circa 1910, the Kirkton farmhouse is clearly identifiable to the left of Slains Parish Church. The present church building, dating from 1807 with an original seating capacity of 650, is dedicated to St Ternan who is reputed to have landed by boat at Cransdale in the 5th Century. The walled manse garden, clearly visible, is now an extension to the graveyard.

The entrance visible in the gable is no longer in use and has been filled in. Among those buried in the graveyard are several members of the Erroll family. The Erroll Aisle is clearly visible at the side of the church.
There has not been a resident minister in Collieston since the retirement of Rev John Murray in 1972 when the manse was sold and Slains Parish was united with the nearby Parish of Ellon. The farmhouse and steading at Kirkton were converted to private housing in the 1990’s.
The Glebe, viewed from the churchyard, in 1999. Built in 1823 and reputedly the oldest building in Collieston, the L-shaped building was originally the Manse Croft and consisted of a winnowing barn, stable, byre, bothy and coach-house.

The doocot (dovecot), clearly visible at the entrance to the property and constructed in 1715, was home to the doves or pigeons which provided the minister and his family with food during the winter months. The garden and glebe land of the Manse Croft would have provided them with dairy produce, grain, fruit and vegetables.

Subsequently the home of the church officer known as the Beadle, the Glebe was sold by the Church of Scotland in 1974 following the retirement of the Reverend John Murray in 1972 and the uniting of the Parish of Slains with the Parish of Ellon. Both Manse and Glebe are now private dwellings.

Return to top of page
Pupils are gathered in the playground of Slains School in 1970. At the time the school had a staff of three full time teachers and some 60-70 pupils whose families were resident in Slains, Auchmacoy and Collieston. The majority of the pupils travelled to school by bus. Those pupils who either walked or cycled were in a minority.

Lunches were provided by the School Meals Service. Cooked at nearby Cruden Bay School, the meals were packed and transported to Slains on a daily basis and eaten by both pupils and teachers in the dining area of the hall.

The new school building visible behind the children and opened on 21st September 1967 by Sir Douglas Ritchie, was built to replace the old school building which was eventually demolished in 1968.

Return to top of page
....copyright collieston's century 2003