Towards the end of the 19th Century Collieston was enjoying unprecedented prosperity as a fishing port. Its natural harbour and shingle beach was the perfect haven for the some fifty open decked yawls and 200 men that fished from the village. It was not however ideal for the newer and much safer decked yawls that were gaining favour with fishermen. They required a pier to land their catch.

There was much debate, with many fishers arguing that the building of a pier would result in the harbour silting up. Those in favour prevailed. The Collieston Harbour Act of 1894 was passed through Parliament and on 17th October Lady Gordon Cathcart of Cluny laid the foundation stone of the Pier.For a time the port continued to prosper. There was talk of a branch line from the railway that linked Ellon and Cruden Bay to carry the fish to market in Aberdeen. This time of optimism was short lived. By the turn of the century there were considerable accumulations of sand within the new harbour.

....copyright collieston's century 2003